St Patrick's Pyramid Hill

Phone: (03) 5455 7220

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

To Love, Learn and Respect


History of our school

The Rev. BD Stewart officially blessed and opened St Patrick’s school, Pyramid Hill the 5th of February, 1956. The school was established to cater for a growing number of Catholic children in the Pyramid Hill region and as a memorial to the residents of the region who gave their lives in World War II. Hundreds of people were reported to have turned out for the opening of St Patrick’s school which was built in only eight weeks. At the time, St Patrick’s school was considered the most modern building in Pyramid Hill, and there was much pride from parishioners who contributed both financially and as volunteers to the building of the school.  

The new school was designed to accommodate 100 students who would be educated through to proficiency standard; previously students had to travel to Kerang to continue schooling beyond primary level. When St Patrick’s school opened its doors in 1956 there were 60 enrolments and the students were taught in two classrooms by the Sisters of St Joseph, who were charged with the responsibility of educating the children. By 1966 enrolments at St Patrick’s had risen to 91 pupils including 18 students in form one and 10 enrolled in form two. To meet the growing enrolments two new brick classrooms were constructed along with a new staffroom facility and the first lay staff member was employed.

St Patrick’s school ceased offering forms one and two in 1975, reverting to a primary school facility. In 1976 the Sisters of St Joseph withdrew from St Patrick’s after two decades of service to the children and families of Pyramid Hill and district. In 1996 a new administration area and principals office was constructed, it was reported to be, ‘although a small school, equal to any in facilities and educational opportunities.’ 

On the 11th of November, 2004 a Remembrance Garden was opened at St Patrick’s school by Federal Member for Murray, Dr Sharmon Stone. Representing the Sisters of St Joseph, Sr Geraldine Larkins was present at the opening along with RSL President Mr Bob Beet. There was much excitement in 2011 when St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School was announced as the first Catholic School in Victoria to be awarded a Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Grant. The significant grant of $54,000 for garden and kitchen infrastructure has enabled the school to grow and prepare their own food, as well as educating the wider community about healthy eating.

In 2015, St Patrick's Primary School was fortunate to receive a Minor Capital Works Grant to build a Covered Outdoor Learning Area (COLA) which reached completion in 2016.  On 18th March 2016, St Patrick's Primary School opened the COLA on the anniversary of the school's 60th birthday.

St Patrick’s Catholic Primary owes much to the group of dedicated parents and the Sisters of St. Joseph who founded the school in 1956. These Sisters were the group of courageous women who followed in the footsteps of Mary MacKillop, who dreamed of providing education to small, isolated communities. Over the years St Patrick’s has had a steady decline in student numbers due to a drop in population of the area. At present St Patrick’s has an enrolment of around 20 students but proudly continues to offer excellent educational opportunities for those in their care whilst following in the traditions of the Sisters of St Joseph.





From Slates To Cyberspace – A History of Pyramid Hill and District Schools 1875 – 2004

By Helen Stevens and Cliff Spowart

St Patrick’s – The Church on the Hill by Peter Harrick